Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Countdown Blocks Tutorial

Ok friends, I finished my first set of Christmas Countdown Blocks! Thought I would share with you how I made them! These are for sale, but you can easily make your own too!

First I bought a piece of wood at Lowe's, I bought the 3x3 kind, after finding out the 2x2 was a bit to small for my project. Im sure Lowe's would (gladly) cut the wood into blocks for you, But I was fortunate enough to have a circular saw, borrowed from a friend, here at home. Turns out, It wouldnt cut through my wood...but luck was on my side and a family friend had a table saw. I sent my husband to have the wood cut, Each smaller block is 2.5x2.5 and the bottom is 5 inches. 

 Then I primed all my blocks with some white acrylic paint. I was just going to paint them white, but I thought  they were too...white? Yes, White. 


 So I found a can of Ivory Spray Paint and took them outside and gave them a good coat of that. Much better!

Let them try for a few hours. While your waiting, you can cut your Christmas (or whatever theme your doing) paper, Since my blocks were 2.5 inches, I cut my paper at 2 inches...Or you can go a little bigger, Just depends how much ivory block you want showing. I used a thin layer of Mod Podge, I had the Matte finish, but I'm sure any kind will work


Once I had paper on all sides of my blocks, I cut out vinyl letters with my Cricut! Applied them to my blocks! I'm not excited that my 'Christmas' hangs off my red a little bit, So I'm sure ill go back and fix that. 


Im also going to get a can of 'Crystal Clear.' I keep hearing good things about it. In my opinion Mod Podge makes your projects a bit 'sticky' And since these are sitting on top of each other I don't want them sticking. Ill then tie a nice ribbon around the set! :) Perfect for gifts or yourself!

2 comments: